What you need to know when purchasing polypropylene carpets.
Polypropylene carpets are one of the most popular types of carpet as they are the most affordable and would be one of the most found carpets in domestic homes, due to its affordability and durability making up 80% of sales.
Polypropylene is a fully synthetic carpet which means it can be cleaned very easily. Stain resistance plays an important role when selecting your new carpet hence it being so popular in domestic and rental properties. The wear and tear of your carpet also plays an important part and that’s exactly what you get with this type of carpet, hard wearing as well as affordable.
Polypropylene is not as resilient as Nylon also not as commonly used in carpet fibers however this particular fiber is becoming much more popular being very cost effective, durable and practical in any circumstance. It is also keeping up with the fashionable trends now available in textured patters and designs in the latest colours.
Polypropylene (Olefin carpet fibre)
Olefin carpet fibre is strong, resists wear and permanent stains and is easy to clean. It is colour-fast because the colour is added in the production of the fibre. It is used in both indoor and outdoor installations because of its resistance to moisture and mildew, it also resists static electricity. Olefin carpet fibre is also used in the making of synthetic turf for sports surfaces such as used for tennis and hockey. You will also find it is good in the home in outside areas like patios and also in game rooms. Many Berber carpets are made of Olefin carpet fibre as they are better in loop carpets. Olefin fibres are colour-fast as the production process involves mixing polypropylene with the dyes.
Once again and most important aspect of all Polypropylene carpets are that they are strong, mildew resistant, moisture resistant, well priced and easy to clean.
- Main Advantages:
- Solution dyed colours
- Good cover and bulk
- Abrasion resistant
- Stain resistant
- Low static
- Favourably priced
- Resists fading
Tips to help keep your carpet looking good.
1. Carpets need to be vacuumed regularly
2. Spills need to be cleaned up as soon as the spills happen.
3. Before cleaning scoop up solids.
4. Blot liquid spills as soon as possible by using clean white towelling or a paper towel.
5. To clean for a specific stain us a recommended spot removal agent.
6. If the stain is quite bad or you are unsure what it is, call an expert carpet cleaner.
7. Before treating stains ensure you test treatments on an inconspicuous part of the carpet for possible colour change.
8. Rinse with cold or lukewarm water only but never saturate your carpet.
9. When drying carpet, blot with a white towel or paper towel or use a cold air fan to complete drying.
10. Have your carpet professionally cleaned when required. Steam cleaning is recommended.
11. During the stain removal and rinsing stages do not rub carpet pile